The popular technology blog Gizomodo sent an intrepid reporter to try out the enhanced Sleep No More experience during its beta test run. The result is this rich description of getting lost inside the creepy McKittrick Hotel. Donning a mask that on occasion transmits urgent, mysterious messages to her, she slowly realizes that the set is filled with hidden, interactive zones connecting her to an unseen online companion. This report much more accurately conveys the nature of this immersive theater experience than did the New York Times article last week in which the reporter mostly kvetched about how painful it was to wear the mask (which unfortunately was not designed to be worn over eyeglasses).
June 3, 2012
Gizmodo visits Sleep No More NYC
This entry was posted on Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 at 9:00 am and tagged with artistic collaboration, arts, entertainment, interactive theater, MIT Media Lab, performance technology and posted in Press. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
EventsThursday, May 9, 2013, 5PM. Tod Machover at University of Toronto: Mediated Music: Robotic Operas, Guitar Hero, Collaborative Symphonies and Beyond
June 19, 2013, 11:15AM-12:30PM. Digital Media and Musician Initiatives, at League of American Orchestras meeting, St. Louis, MO.
July 9-12, 2013. Tod Machover hosts a reception at MIT Media Lab for Constructing Modern Knowledge.
Feb. 12-16, 2014. Death and the Powers, The Dallas Opera AT&T Performance Center. Ticket info.
Search this site
- RT @fgravity: @operafuture NYC Opera director Michael Counts is blowing minds in our new show! kickstarter.com/projects/fight… 2 hours ago
- RT @TheDallasOpera: @DawnFluenza We can't wait for Tod Machover's opera Death and the Powers either. #robotopera @operafuture 2 hours ago
- Come and play with the new Constellation App for Festival City!! #edintfestcity wp.me/p3iq91-1c 1 day ago
- Come and play with the new Constellation App for Festival City, to premiere at the Edinburgh International... fb.me/1QsxDbDH6 1 day ago
- Excited for Andrew Eggert, Asst Dir for Death & the Powers! GIVER OF LIGHT World Premiere in Boston, 5/23 opera.broadwayworld.com/article/Gueril… 3 days ago
TagsAlex McDowell American Repertory Theater artistic collaboration arts Arts Festivals Boston Chicago creativity Death and the Powers Diane Paulus electronic music entertainment Guitar Hero Hyperinstruments Hyperscore Interview Karole Armitage M.I.T. Marvin Minsky Media Lab MIT MIT Media Lab Monaco music music and health music reviews music technology new music NPR opera Opera of the Future Patricia Risley Performer's Guide Peter Gregson Press Production design Robert Pinsky robots symphony orchestras technology TED TEDx Aldeburgh theater Tod Machover video
Copyright NoticeCopyright 2010, 2011 by Hanoa Productions. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to "Hanoa Productions" with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.