One of the core ideas in Hyperscore, the composing software developed by Tod Machover’s team at the M.I.T. Media Lab, is that music is built from “motifs” – small melodies and rhythm patterns – which are assembled into larger musical structures. In this video, Tod coaches a groups of children in Armenia and the U.S. as they work together to create a new piece of music. The kids created a variety of motifs, humming them or wielding the mouse to draw them in Hyperscore. Here we see them start to construct a composition which eventually will be performed by the Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra at a gala celebration. (For more information, read From the U.S. to Armenia, Kids Build a Musical Bridge.)
July 9, 2012
Hyperscore in Action: A-to-A Project
This entry was posted on Monday, July 9th, 2012 at 4:15 pm and tagged with artistic collaboration, arts, arts education, education, electronic music, Hyperscore, MIT Media Lab, music education, music technology and posted in Tod Machover, Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
EventsThursday, May 9, 2013, 5PM. Tod Machover at University of Toronto: Mediated Music: Robotic Operas, Guitar Hero, Collaborative Symphonies and Beyond
June 19, 2013, 11:15AM-12:30PM. Digital Media and Musician Initiatives, at League of American Orchestras meeting, St. Louis, MO.
July 9-12, 2013. Tod Machover hosts a reception at MIT Media Lab for Constructing Modern Knowledge.
Feb. 12-16, 2014. Death and the Powers, The Dallas Opera AT&T Performance Center. Ticket info.
Search this site
- Come and play with the new Constellation App for Festival City!! #edintfestcity wp.me/p3iq91-1c 14 hours ago
- Come and play with the new Constellation App for Festival City, to premiere at the Edinburgh International... fb.me/1QsxDbDH6 1 day ago
- Excited for Andrew Eggert, Asst Dir for Death & the Powers! GIVER OF LIGHT World Premiere in Boston, 5/23 opera.broadwayworld.com/article/Gueril… 2 days ago
- RT @edintfest: You can now read a new Festival blog entry where Tod Machover explains the Constellation app himself. ht.ly/l8Ndi… 2 days ago
- RT @RadarEcho: People in dallas need to be in interior room taking cover - rotating cloud coming your way. Get off street. Could drop torn… 1 week ago
TagsAlex McDowell American Repertory Theater artistic collaboration arts Arts Festivals Boston Chicago creativity Death and the Powers Diane Paulus electronic music entertainment Guitar Hero Hyperinstruments Hyperscore Interview Karole Armitage M.I.T. Marvin Minsky Media Lab MIT MIT Media Lab Monaco music music and health music reviews music technology new music NPR opera Opera of the Future Patricia Risley Performer's Guide Peter Gregson Press Production design Robert Pinsky robots symphony orchestras technology TED TEDx Aldeburgh theater Tod Machover video
Copyright NoticeCopyright 2010, 2011 by Hanoa Productions. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to "Hanoa Productions" with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.